First of all, congratulations!
If you’ve made it onto my website and you are reading this bio, it means you are on your way to creating the ultimate you. That’s fantastic! Half the battle is finding the right person to work with. The other half is showing up for your sessions and working your butt off!
In this section of the website you will learn about who I am and how I started on my fitness journey. You will learn what’s unique about training with me, my values and beliefs, and hopefully by the end you will be able to make a decision whether you would like to have me as your trainer.
The first thing you should know is that, unlike most trainers out there, I was not always fit. I’m not a former athlete and I didn’t do sports all my life.
In fact, I spent most of my life eating really unhealthy food and not gaining an ounce.
So what happened? How did I go from being unfit, unhealthy and not having a problem with it, to becoming a personal trainer?
The first thing that happened was my daughter. The second thing that happened was my husband persuading me to join him in doing an extreme home-based exercise program. Perhaps you’ve heard of it: it’s called P90X.
Little did he know what he was starting! Not only did I really get into it, it became a bit of an obsession. We finished P90X and moved on to other home-based exercise programs. By this time people started to notice. And they started asking questions:
“How are you so fit?”
“How can you possibly look like this after having a baby?”
“What can I do to look like you?”
I really wanted to help answer all of these questions, but all I could tell them was: “We did P90X”. Turns out this recipe, as successful as it has been, does not work for everyone. Some people can work out 5 days a week, others only two; some are perfectly healthy, others are recovering from an injury; some have one hour to spare, others only 30 minutes. And the list goes on and on.
I’m also a scientist, so I also wanted to give people answers rooted in science, not answers I learned from a workout video. Answers that I could back off with facts.
Finally, I had become so passionate (ahem, addicted) to fitness that I genuinely wanted to help others get in shape too. All I started seeing around me were people with an incredibly strong desire to become active – they just didn’t know how!
And so, after exploring many options, I decided to become a personal trainer – a decision that I haven’t looked back on since! 🙂
Beyond personal training – what’s unique about working with me
When I became a personal trainer, I also made a commitment to myself to help my clients in any way that I could. I am not just the trainer who shows up to a session and you never hear from them until the next time you meet. I genuinely work hard for my clients, and with my clients, to give you all the tools needed to succeed – whether it’s during our sessions, or in between! And oh by the way, it’s all included in your training fee!
- We stay in touch between sessions
- I follow up with you the day after your workouts to see how you’re doing
- I’m your resource: you can message me at any time with questions
- I will message you at various times to make sure you’re staying on track
- You get a training log with all of your workouts – TO KEEP!
- What’s the point of working out with me if I don’t empower you to stay active on your own?
- You get to keep everything we do together (workouts, handouts, recipes) so you can refer to them whenever you want!
- I will coach you beyond just fitness
- I believe that all aspects of your life contribute to your overall sense of happiness
- I have access to a nutritionist and a life coach to get answers to your pressing non-workout related questions
- I believe in educating you
- You will learn why we are doing certain exercises
- You will learn breathing techniques
- You will understand proper posture and form
- You will learn what muscles you are working
- You will learn to distinguish “good pain” from “bad pain”
- I do what I say I’m going to do – because so many people don’t!
- If I say I’ll email you your workout, I will
- If I say I will follow up with you on a certain day, I will
- If I promise to bring a handout to our next session, I will
- If you ask me a question, I’ll find the answer
- I am there to make your workouts fit your life! Here are some of the things my clients have asked of me in the past
- “I’m traveling and don’t have access to a gym – can I get a workout with no weights?” Yup!
- “I stand around a lot at work. Could you build me a 10min sequence that I could do while standing?” You betcha!
- “I want to move beyond the gym – can we do something in the park?” Of course!
- “I don’t feel 100% today, can we do something easier?” No problem!
I truly believe each and every one of us can make fitness an integral part of our lives! Sometimes all it takes is that someone to hold us accountable and push us to make that leap forward! It is this person that I hope to be for you.Mission Statement Personal Values
- Bachelor of Science (BSc)
- Major: Biochemistry
- Minor: English Language
- Certified Personal Trainer
- BCRPA-Registered Personal Trainer
- First Aid/CPR with AED Level C certified
- Mom (which means I know what it’s like to try to balance a trillion things while having a mini version of you constantly tugging at your pants!)
- Lover of life and all things fitness
- Body weight training
- Cardio training
- Circuit training
- Core conditioning
- Fitness Assessments
- Holistic approach
- Strength training
- Tandem training
- Weight training
- Women’s fitness